Small Group Tuition
At Acorn Tutors, we're looking to offer our clients the option of small group sessions, enabling children to work together with friends in a fun and supportive environment. Why is group tuition something you might want to consider though?
By working with friends, this takes the pressure off individual children whilst also allowing for one-to-one help from the tutor when needed. Not being the sole-focus of attention means that children can view sessions as a collective task and work together as part of a team.
Evidence clearly suggests that one to one tuition can be effective, on average accelerating learning by approximately 5 months. For some children though, findings have shown group tuition to be more effective for developing progress. Group tuition can help with children's learning in many different ways:
· Encourage delegation of roles and responsibilities.
· Exposure to different solution and problem-solving techniques
· Develop new ways to resolving differences.
· Pool knowledge and skills.
· Hold one another (and be held) accountable.
· Attempt more complex problems than on their own.
· Receive social support and encouragement to take risks in a safe and supportive environment.
· Develop their own voice and perspectives in relation to the group.
· Establish a shared identity with other group members.
· Find suitable peers to emulate.
Tuition in small groups encourages students to develop independent work habits and thinking skills. In one-to-one tutoring some children may try to rely too much on the teacher. In a small group setting each child is enabled to work on their own after the tutor has checked for understanding. Children are fully engaged and achieve more by doing and learning independently.
Children like to know that they are not alone in needing extra help with their work. Feelings of apprehension soon disappear as they work alongside others in an environment where others are concentrating and working, particularly when working with friends.
Learning in a group environment can sometimes be more fun than one-to-one. Sharing sessions with friends can make the unbearable thought of extra work, seem bearable!
Group tuition can be significantly cheaper than one-to-one sessions, by sharing the cost of sessions with other parents.